after 4 years of dreaming, i'm finally doing it... quitting my stable corporate job, and hitting the road on a solo climbing trip. from the countdown to the big move out west... here we go!

Monday, March 06, 2006

tree hugger

I’m so happy for the change of scenery and a return to the woods. I’m at the highest elevation so far on the trip – 7,000 feet in Flagstaff, Arizona. When I was driving up here last night it took me a while to realize why it felt so cozy - i'm around trees again.

I met up with a friend I haven’t seen in a few years. I met her just after she started climbing at the age of 12. she’s a woman now, enrolled in university and living on her own. It’s great to be able to talk with her as an adult, about adult things. It’s a new stage of my life that I can be friends with someone a decade younger than me who is now an adult. We went to the gear shops and tried on hats and jackets. It’s great to have a girlfriend to talk to now. In hueco it was mostly guys and generally speaking once they realize that they may be unable to bed you, they seem to disappear. It’s tough to make friends under those circumstances.

She showed me around Flagstaff today, and then around the climbing area, Priest Draw. I really like the climbing here. Besides being in the forest, it’s also my all-time favourite climbing style: overhanging pockets. We worked on a few problems and I can feel that my dynamic ability is much stronger since hueco. The first challenge of a new climbing area is to trust your feet. I have gone through this at every new bouldering destination and she showed me enough that I can work on a few things tomorrow on my own.

I have a neighbour tonight. He’s just started his six month road trip, it’s his first time camping after having friends to crash with for the first two weeks of travel. I must say that I admire his choice in location. We are miles into a national forest, completely unserviced. No running water, no outhouse. I have also reached a new level of dirtbagging. I’m hooked on sleeping in my car now, and refuse to pitch the tent only for a few nights. Now that I’ve come to terms with living in my car, I may as well adopt it as my proper address. I’ve gotten the hang of moving things around in it so I can stretch out as much as possible.

It’s great to be cold again. The temperatures in el paso hit summer status to me – highs around 28C. I just feel like it’s too early in the year to be tanned. i’ve retreated high into the mountains for another reason too. I’m taking a small leave of absence from people. It’s time for some mental training. I’m going to try to use up the food I have with me and go for some long walks in the woods.

I traveled up here in good spirits last night. The two guys I met up with in phoenix yesterday were definitely cool and laid back and just treated me like just another human being. This was great after being in hueco and surrounded by the young party scene. They took me on some trad SLAB multipitch just outside of phoenix. It was interesting to switch from bouldering to trad and I really enjoyed myself. I took every opportunity I could to hand or fist jam since I am probably on my way to Joshua Tree next. I left their company in a really good mood - it's good to make new friends on this trip and they were just really good people, plain and simple.

After being in hueco, I need a break from the crowds. In the woods I have a degree of privacy, I can go running on the trails and I’m on my own. Hueco was more serious about climbing than I like to be, and more laid back about life then I like to be. Having to be so organized to climb, planning your time with reservations months in advance and then the lifestyle of partying at night just really went against the way I am.

I’m in the woods at 7,000 feet for some mental training. I like to be cold and I missed that about Tennessee. The desert is great and when I descend from the mountain range I’ll post some pictures of cacti and desert life, but for now I am surrounded by ancient trees. There’s something about being in the forest that makes you feel like you’re never alone. In hueco I was never alone as well, but this is different company. I always have a bit of a smile since it’s the same feeling I had in Tennessee, the feeling of being at one with the earth. Since I’m at a higher elevation, I have swapped back the sports bra and shorts for the fleece pants and down jacket. When it’s cold out I feel like I am getting stronger, physically and mentally. Bring it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home