after 4 years of dreaming, i'm finally doing it... quitting my stable corporate job, and hitting the road on a solo climbing trip. from the countdown to the big move out west... here we go!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

out of control

so the weather forecast was right. i bouldered as much as i could yesterday while the clouds rolled in. at first they were beautiful fluffy clouds and the gradually they got darker, denser and a tad bit menacing.
i bouldered with the other two guys camping at the draw who are in various stages of roadtripping. they were both great spirits and i was really comfortable with them. I was in good company: nice climbers, ancient trees, and overhanging rock.
i drove into town as planned to use the internet and phone. my phone card ran out of minutes, and the internet cafes were closed. the snow was really flying as i drove back out to the campsite.

I wasn't sure what to do. Both guys had moved on due to the weather and i was bracing myself for another night in my car. i made a peanut butter sandwich, and a decision. i'm going to stick it out in the storm. i crammed as much as i could into the car (still leaving room for a sleeping jessica) and covered the other things with a tarp. time to ride out the storm.

i got in the car just in time, the rain was getting pretty heavy. i was treated to a thunder and lightning storm as well and my already overactive imagination went into overdrive. what about ferocious forest beasts? forest drifters that like to kill dirtbag drifters? in a lightning storm are you supposed to be in the car or out of the car? i decided that in the car was the better option but that this was not the time to go hug some trees on the top of an exposed mountain. what if lightening strikes a tree and it hits my car?

again on my trip i am learning to rescind control of life. i really just have to ride the waves, and i'm getting used to letting go of life. there's only so much you can control and i can certainly control how i feel. i tell myself that i feel fine about sleeping out in the storm, and then also realize that at some point on this trip i have discarded my fear of the dark.

my night of sleep, the third spent in my car is a lot less comfortable then it has been. i crawl into my sleeping bag and cover myself with the purple and pink comforter that i bought in tennessee. it's my uber-female comfort blankie. i think i parked on a bit of an angle, and i keep waking up. At first i wake up and it's bright, i look up and out the windshield and i am treated to a clear break in the clouds revealing the moon above. full moon is in less than a week, and it's getting pretty bright at night these days. the next time i wake up, i see that the windows on the car are frosting up. too much moisture. i roll down the window a bit more and go back to sleep. i wake up again and it's after the moon has set so it's really dark. i see that the car is surrounded by a dense fog like cloud. nice, i'll barely be able to see my way out of here in the morning. back to sleep. i woke up again and this time it's bright out. sun's up! i toss the blanket off my head and see that it wasn't fog at night, nor are the windows frosted.

snow.

i'm so happy. i am canadian after all, and i've missed the snow. i was secretly hoping that this would happen when i visited flag. i've been snowed out. i pack everything into the car and drive. Where? I'll figure it out as i go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i stumbled upon your blog via rockclimbing.com and i love it. i like that you express all your insecurities and concerns and victories and it's really inspiring to me that you're doing a solo climbing trip as a female. have fun and climb hard, -maya.

1:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the father of a new child, the freedom expressed in your trip log is inspiring. I'm having a hard time relegating myself to being in one place for a while. While I have not been on the road in some time, I somehow felt, "I could always quit the job, pack up, and hit the road climbing."
So I'll have to live vicariously through your blog for a bit until I can put the kid on belay.

Regards;
Davidcosine
Pittsburgh, Pa

4:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home