after 4 years of dreaming, i'm finally doing it... quitting my stable corporate job, and hitting the road on a solo climbing trip. from the countdown to the big move out west... here we go!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

take it easy

the spring equinox has passed, the roadtrip honeymoon is over. reality has come to take me away. i have realized that i have less than two months left to be on the road. personal obligations and finances dictate the end of my journey.
if there's one thing i detest, it's being rushed. yes i can hurry and no i'm not a slowpoke but i just don't like having to rush. all of a sudden there is a ticking clock over my head and the countdown is running. two months may seem like a long time to be on the road, but after three months i was really just getting into it. i tell myself that in all likelihood, my roadtrip will continue in BC, just with a bit of stability mixed in.
i want to be able to do another trip like this in the fall. i am so scared that i'll be one of those people who talks with sentimental tenderness about that trip they took... they've been meaning to get back out on the road, but hey it's easier said then done.
i love life on the road, and i've really enjoyed my time out here, but it isn't reality, is it?

i don't feel so free anymore. i just got the hang of drifting and floating and now i have woken up in a different location, about to go over a waterfall.
climbing is not as important anymore. it has been a key part of my journey, but is no longer my focus.
joshua tree has been an experience. the sky here is always changing, and it's awe inspiring to watch a storm roll across the desert. it wasn't quite what i was expecting, and i haven't been writing too much lately. however, i have strengthened some friendships that blossomed in hueco - people who have gone from "see you later" to "keep in touch".

i'm ready to move on. i've been here two weeks and that used to not be a long time, but i have so many locations still on my hit list. i crave time by myself again and recognize that the time for sitting in the woods all by myself is very limited. besides, i'm in the desert.

in true roadtrip spirit, though, i don't know where to head next. the coast calls to me, and i really can't believe i'm this far west already. the next stop is probably bishop, where i hope to get obsessed with climbing again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home