after 4 years of dreaming, i'm finally doing it... quitting my stable corporate job, and hitting the road on a solo climbing trip. from the countdown to the big move out west... here we go!

Sunday, April 02, 2006

trying to be strong


well well... i do believe i may have made peace with the cessation of the roadtrip. i'm getting excited about the unknown life ahead of me settling in squamish... i'd love to find work just to make it through a very simple summer. this is sort of an extension of my roadtrip, but since i'm in canada i can still work. this is a good thing, and not a bad thing. at first i was really scared that all the advancement i have made on this roadtrip would be suddenly lost and i'd be living that incredibly cushy life again in canada.

not so.

after checking my finances, i've realized that i'm almost done with the Roadtrip Reserve Funds. so i'm going to have to take whatever work i can find in squamish. my past career doesn't exist there, so i'll probably still be a climber bum of some calibre.

climbing has been going well. to put it simply, i'm trying again. i was feeling a bit discouraged and down for a bit while i sorted through the end of the roadtrip. now i'm determined to climb as hard as i can and what better place to do it but in bishop? this place has a number of different places to boulder, and each location has its own personality. i don't think i'll be doing much roped climbing here, but how happy am i to climb the overhangs at the happys?

some of my real friends from hueco have reentered my life, and i actually have a bit of a routine with who i climb with. it's amazing the people you end up seeing again. i find myself running into people that i met once a long time ago, and then there are the friends that i've made where we try to see each other again later on our respective roadtrips.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kev said...

Jess, I've been following your journey all along - I'm proud of you, I think you've grown a lot on this pilgrimage. Congrats on such a rad trip.

Good luck in squish and if you ever come through Calgary you gotta let me take you climbing.

I will be in Vancouver/squamish this Summer... I'll let you know.

In the meantime keep entertaining me while I'm at work!

Kev

12:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica! I just stumbled across your blog. Great job on your little journey. I hope that Melissa and I can catch up with you and Damian out west.

Take it easy, and I know that you will find something that works in Squamish.

Cheers,

Clint.

P.S. it's snowing again here on the Bruce. However I did get one day in at Cape Croker last weekend.

7:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home