after 4 years of dreaming, i'm finally doing it... quitting my stable corporate job, and hitting the road on a solo climbing trip. from the countdown to the big move out west... here we go!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

cold feet

Well, I'm going into work today. I can't help but reflect on the past year or so of events. In September I decided to quit my job and take a roadtrip around the states. I worked to get things arranged in my life so I could get away. My last day at work was in early December - almost 7 months ago now and now I'm going back.

I just hope that my experiences with the corporate world were negative only because of the company I was working for. Hopefully this company is a little bit more progressive.

I wanted to come to BC and live a low key life as a server, have a simple existence and climb as often as I could. On my trip I experienced what it's like to be poor. I learned not to judge people by appearance - based on how people reacted to me when they thought I was just a dirtbag climber contributing nothing to society compared to how they treated me when they found out that I left a corporate stable job. I've realized that being paid to use your brain to make a living is not all that bad. I'm extreme by nature, in case no one's noticed by now.

So. Now I'm going into work to accept my offer. Life is going to be terribly busy quite soon and I've enjoyed my time off. Part of me can't believe that I'm returning to the work force, and the other part is quite excited to use my brain - and get paid for it! This company is sponsoring my education and I have some brand new skills to learn.

I'm scared. I can't believe I'm going back into the work world. It's been two months since I crossed the border back into Canada. Here we go, a brand new adventure. I just have to follow my gut instinct to navigate the currents of life. My gut instinct told me to return to the career world, so here I go...

2 Comments:

Blogger porscha said...

hey jessica! your blog is wonderful, enjoyed reading it very much and wish i had remembered about it earlier.

oh- and do you have yuri's e-mail address?

http://thingsdone.blogspot.com

9:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,

Just found your site and it's been cool to read it in light of my parallel experiences! See you Sunday!

8:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home